The Engineering Division supports the mission of the Department of Planning and Community Development, as well as other city departments, by providing professional services in the areas of Engineering/Surveying, Public Works Inspection, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Erosion and Sediment Control.
General Goals and Objectives
- Provide surveying, design, and contract administration for public projects.
- Maintain and update tax parcel, street and utility mapping for the entire city and, as applicable for city holdings outside the city limits.
- Administer and coordinate the city's site plan and erosion control plan review process.
- Administer and enforce the city's Erosion and Sediment Control program.
- Provide inspection services and permit-related studies for the city's flood control/water supply dams.
- Assist other city departments with special requests.
Public Works Inspection:
- Provide regular inspection on public infrastructure associated with private development projects, and project inspection on public projects.
- Provide testing services for public water and sewer lines; administrate scheduling and documentation program for acceptance of such utilities into public ownership.
- Provide administration and inspection for City Public Access Permit program.
- Provide inspection and record-keeping for the city's Erosion Control program.
Geographic Information System (GIS):
- Develop broad-based, user-friendly, time saving GIS and mapping applications for use by all departments.
- Develop specific GIS applications for individual departments. Assist in development of application databases.
- Develop an inter-departmental training program to provide for departmental GIS development and end-user applications.
- Maintain GIS system and database links for city-wide applications.
- Develop GIS out-sourcing such as Web access and customer kiosks.